So, this post may be a disappointment to some readers because it is not really about coming back up from Karandavasana. It’s about trying to come up, and it is from a female perspective…women are definitely a bit more handicapped in this pose.
As you can guess, I am still working on Karandavasana. There has been some progress so far:
- my right knee finally healed, and I can hold my balance upside down while coaxing those legs into lotus without the knee protesting in pain;
- I can lower down my knees down to my armpits…but it takes GREAT internal effort not to topple over;
- this means that in order to stay upright, I focus on bandhas and imagine my spine curving in slight back bend to hold the balance; my focus turns inward rather than what my limbs are doing;
- I suck in my gut and imagine trying to touch my lotus-bound thighs against my chest;
- and, the tighter I get the lotus, the easier it is to fold down….
- I no longer grunt and groan like a gnarly truck driver, so that is GREAT progress!
- I land the duck and if it is a soft landing (rather than crashing down into your armpits because you have lost bandha control), I feel especially good.
BUT!!! And of course, there is ALWAYS a “but”…coming back up is a different story. I simply cannot do it without assistance. One day I managed to lift my legs up one inch before crashing down in defeat. Or, I cheat…I lower down until my knees touch my chest, hold for one measly breath, then lift back up.
That’s no problem…yeah, right. Sometimes I exert too much force and crash onto my back, or just flick my legs out into chataranga before lifting straight up, rather than doing the “proper” exit.
Well, if I land completely into my armpits, there is just so much dead weight that I can’t possibly lift up. I have tried to keep my core muscles engaged (instead of releasing)…and STILL that does not work. Even when I do a face plant into the ground for leverage. Then I wind up with a very sore neck.
It is not good to have gas when you are trying to do this pose. Otherwise, you will become a “farting” duck.